Did you know that your childhood experiences can affect you in adulthood?
It's normal to experience difficulties and bad things in life. Development involves learning and coping with these experiences.
But childhood trauma is when a traumatic event overwhelms children. It may affect social, emotional, and mental development.
Are you struggling with mental health disorders, low self-esteem, or anxiety? You may want to learn whether you're experiencing unresolved childhood trauma.
What is Childhood Trauma?
A traumatic event is frightening. It's also dangerous for your life and mental health. After all, witnessing it can be traumatic.
The experience can cause strong physical and emotional reactions even long after the event. If it's unresolved, it can affect development, leading to childhood trauma in adults.
The National Child Traumatic Stress Network says childhood exposure to traumatic events affects the nervous system. It may lead to mental illness and other serious illnesses. It can also increase health-risk behaviors. That includes substance use, self-harm, smoking, and eating disorders.
Adults may also find difficulty in social situations. The same goes for forming relationships and having good self-esteem.
Causes of Childhood Trauma
There are different forms of adverse childhood experiences. Here are some of the more common causes of a traumatic childhood:
- Community or domestic violence
- Terrorism, sex trafficking, and violence
- Life-threatening illness or serious accidents
- Childhood abuse (physical, emotional, or sexual abuse)
- Loss of a loved one
Effects of Childhood Trauma
If you've experienced any of the above, watch out for these symptoms. There may be lingering effects of childhood trauma in your adulthood.
Childhood trauma impacts the following domains:
- Attachment and RelationshipsChildhood trauma can lead to problems with unhealthy relationships or forming attachments.If you were often neglected as a child, it may be easier for you to mistrust others. Some adults form unhealthy relationships since it's what they're used to from childhood.
- Emotional Regulation and ResponsesChildhood trauma in adults can manifest itself with problematic emotional regulations and responses. You may feel angry, withdrawn, anxious, or depressed. It also involves panic attacks, feeling disconnected, and difficulty expressing emotions.
- Post-traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD)Those who experience childhood trauma can develop PTSD. You may show self-destructive or risky actions and relive the event, like nightmares. You may experience avoidance, anxiety, depression, anger, trust problems, and withdrawal.
- Physical Health SymptomsA 2019 study reviewed 134 different research on the health impacts of childhood trauma. It notes the increased risk of developing several conditions. That includes cancer, heart and autoimmune diseases, mental health disorders, and addiction.
Steps to Healing Childhood Trauma
Have you experienced childhood trauma and the symptoms above? Don't worry, there's a way to heal.
The immediate steps you can take are:
- Develop healthy habits, be more active, and eat healthy food
- Avoid self-medication, like alcohol, drugs, and substance abuse
- Stick to a consistent sleeping schedule
- Spend time with close people who are supportive
Do you want to take a more serious step to heal your childhood trauma? Consider looking into trauma-informed therapies. Try spiritual healing if you're looking for an alternative.
How a Spiritual Healer Can Help Your Mental Health
A spiritual healer heals people — or helps people heal themselves.
They can channel healing energy from a greater power. Then, they can transfer the energy to the patient to promote healing.
Spiritual healing is not a clinical practice. But it can complement medical and therapeutic treatments. It can help fix your energy flow and teach you about yourself in the process.
Past childhood trauma does not need to affect your life today. Many trauma victims don't realize they experienced trauma. No matter what you've gone through, your feelings are valid.
Want to learn more about how spiritual healers can heal your childhood trauma? Improve your health and other aspects of your life by signing up for Bliss Up Now. With the right tools and resources, you can heal your body, mind, and spirit.